Employment Law/Payroll Errors

The company I currently am employed by have shorted my paycheck 10 hrs of overtime work.I am paid every Friday but am able to view my paystub on Wednesday through our online access. I noticed the issue on Wednesday and immediately brought it to my supervisors  attention whom contacted our Hr Rep who informed me that even rhough the next pay period would be this friday, the proper corrections wouldn't  be made until the next friday. When is the legal limit of being paid for time worked? This wouldnt be such a big issue if it did not happen EVERY week. Even with straight time my check is shorted and I have to go through the process of filling out paperwork to be paid the next week every week and this happens to other employees as well. What legal action am I able to take or what laws are there to ensure I am paid on time? I havent done the math but I feel they arent paying me my overtime in a way to get out of paying me my full wages (time& a half)

First I would try talking to company managment and ask why the Payroll Department cannot get your check right? It is them or is your supervisor sending in the wrong hours?

I would start keeping track of my time in a journal. Than if you are paid incorrectly go to your nearest Department of Labor and show them the Journel of time and your check. Ask them if they can help you get paid correctly. I think they will be able to take care of it.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada