Employment Law/PTO

Question
I work for a company that offers pto, and when I request to use it I am always informed that I cant. I have followed company guidelines and still get the run around I am also questioned on what I want to use my PTO for.  What are the laws that govern pto? My PTO is also given based on the hours I work and my status in the system.

Answer
unfortunately PTO is not required by law so the law that governs it are company policy.  The Department of labor will expect your company to honor the PTO company policy which is in your company handbook regarding PTO. Employment laws do not regulate PTO.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR