Employment Law/Rest/Break Periods

Question
QUESTION: Our company is a 7x24 operation providing emergency medical services. Our medical staff are on 24 hour shifts. Their day begins at 7:00 am and once they have completed general duties in the morning are encouraged to rest until they are called on. Do they fall under the same rest requirements as factory or general office employees? If so, how would it work if they are out on a call during a documented break period?

ANSWER: I it is a longer break such as a lunch period of 30 minutes or more thay must be paid the time.

If it is a 15 minute break they just either take their break when they are finished with the call or they have to miss their break that one time.

Shirley

QUESTION: Thank you Shirley. They are paid throughout their full shift, regardless of whether they are resting or not. I'm not clear on your response.  Is there any difference in how this position should be treated over say an office staff member?

Answer
The difference would be the nature of the job. Obviously we want employees to take breaks and rest when they have these type of shifts and responsibilities, however, with the job comes the responsibility of what to do in an emergency. If there is an emergency, than that is part of the job and obviously breaks must be put on hold. It is a little different from an office worker that can take a break at a scheduled time. As long as an effort is made to give a break when one can be given all is well.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR