Employment Law/Is this unlawful?

I was hired at a company last week and started this week. Monday I watched training videos and was sent home early because they were too busy to train. Tuesday I was watching my trainer and assisting her, and also greeting customers. Wednesday was my day to switch and my trainer assisted me. She gave me great feedback and told me that Thursday I would be training with someone else and it was make it or break it day. Thursday while on my own I was bombarded with procedures that I was not trained to do that the new trainer showed me and when she was not available my previous trainer corrected my mistakes without showing me how to do it. I was told by one trainer how to do some things that the other told me not to do. Technically I was only on my own and being watched one day out of the training and that was Thursday. I was fired on my lunch break on Thursday. Two of the managers came and sat with me. The first manager said that they look for employees to be at a certain point and that I was not there and they had to let me go. The other manager said she was sorry that it was a really bad time of the year to train people. I am confused because I was not being properly trained, there were conflicts with what both trainers were telling me to do and what I was seeing employees do, and I think that bad timing because you are too busy to train is a poor and unlawful excuse to fire someone because it is a bad time of the year to lose a job as well. If they had bad timing to train then why hire people. They said they would send me a check for the days I was there and I could return the uniform in which I had only received my pants, belt and name tag at the time. My question is was I wrongfully terminated and can I sue this company?

Kiara - No, you were not wrongfully terminated.  In the US, very little qualifies as wrongful termination, especially in the absence of a written employment agreement.  Employment in the vast majority of states is "at will," meaning either party can terminate the  work relationship at any time for any reason that is not illegal, such as discrimination on the basis of membership in a protected class.  

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire

I can answer most questions about employment law, federal or state. I am an attorney, not an HR professional, so questions about HR careers, coursework, prospects, etc. are not within my scope.

Attorney for 20 years, currently working exclusively with employment law - FLSA, FMLA, federal contracts, pay, etc.

Temple University School of Liberal Arts, BA, Rhetoric & Communication, 1982 Temple University School of Law, JD, 1990 Certificate in HR, Cornell University ILR School, 2006