You are here:

Employment Law/Business Trip and Payment


I am a lead hand with a plastics manufacturing company.  My duties typically involve the operation of machinery, overseeing other employees within my department and general assistance of the shift supervisor.

I recently participated in a business trip requiring work beyond my regular duties that took me from Vancouver, British Columbia to Edmonton, Alberta.  This required me to leave my residence on a Sunday afternoon, arriving in Edmonton later that night.  Work began the following morning on Monday, lasting ~11 hours.  Then the Tuesday after, lasting ~ 9 hours. I then flew back into Vancouver that night, arriving in the late evening and returning to my regular duties the following day.

What sort of payment would be required with a trip such as this?

If an employer requires an employee to go to an out-of-town location which is not normally required for the job, the employer may have to pay for the travel time if it can be shown that the travel ought to be considered as labour or service for the employer.   


An employee, who lives and works in Burnaby, is sent to a sales meeting in Kelowna. The trip, from home and return, is paid travel time.

The time spent working is the employee's regular wages, however, the travel time does not need to be paid at regular wages as long as at least minimum wage is paid.

reference at :


Employment Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR


I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).


30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]