Employment Law/Mortgage company W2 Vs 1099

Question
We are a small mortgage company in calif.  Currently all loan officers are paid 1099,  We are now starting FHA loans inhouse and I believe they require loan officer to be paid W2.  So is it ok to pay 1099 for regular loans and if they do a FHA loan pay w2 on that,

Answer
I do not deal with California and since they have so many different rules I am not sure about the state level. I know on the federal level an employee with a W-2 should not have both a W-2 and a 1099. If the person is a W-2 employee they cannot be a 1099 independet distributor. If you pay them  on W-2 it should be all on W-2.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR