Employment Law/tn employment

Question
My manager is telling me that he is going to take a vacation day because he is requiring my office to work a Saturday in case of bad weather (snow or ice) which i did not work. I earn a base salary plus commission but worked every day Monday -Friday and at-least 40 hours per week.We did not miss any days because of bad weather, and still easily completed all my work before the end of month.Is this legal?

Answer
I do not think this is right. Whether it is illegal or not is another story. Vacation pay is not required by law and if it is given the company reserves the right to say when it may or may not be used. It doesn't sound right to require a vacation day to be used for not working on a day off. If the day is used you should be paid for that day.

The state of Tennessee does not have rules on Vacation and Holiday pay. They do say that the employers handbook and rules are the guiding factor. If the vacation day is taken for a day you did not work than you must be paid for that day. If you are not paid for it you can file a claim with the department of labor. While the employer can say when the time may or may not be used if the time is used it must be paid.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR