Employment Law/car allowance

Question
My company pays me a biweekly car allowance that does not cover the gas I am using each week much less the wear and tear on my vehicle. I have suggested a mileage allowance instead but am told they do not offer this.
Do I have to continue to use my own money and vehicle for this company?

Answer
There are no laws covering whether or not you use your car for the company. This is between you and the company.

What you can do is take the federal mileage rate which is currently 56 cents a mile. Deduct the amount that you are given by the company and claim the difference as an unremibursed expense on your income taxes.

You have s couple of options on using your vehicle,

You can talk to the company about it and let them know the amount reimbursed is not covering the cost and that you can no longer use your vehicle for company business

You can quit and find another job

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR