Employment Law/Back Pay

Question
Hello,

I worked for my previous company for 14 years. They were 6 months late giving me my yearly evaluation, after several reminders. I finally got eval. and told i would receive a 2 percent raise. When I signed the worksheet to go to home office to get my raise started on next check I found I only got a .15 cent raise.

This was not the .45 cents it should have been. Now they tell me they will only go back 2 weeks retro! BS! How is this fair to me? Not my fault no one could get it together and do it! And its not the amount stated on eval form / worksheet. Do I have the right to that back pay? They are sure ignoring me when I've told them twice now I want it! Administrator told me she will see to it. however, the administrator DID NOT correct the pay raise.

Again to be clear....
I DID NOT get the raise my paper evaluation said I would get NOR did I get the entire 6 months back pay. I did get 2 weeks worth of the back pay but that is all. I feel I deserve the entire 6 month back pay as it was NOT my fault they were 6 months LATE doing the evaluation. THEN, when I got the raise it was much less than the 2% that the paper evaluation said.

SO, my question is do I have the right to those other 5 months and 2 weeks retro pay or not? This company SAYS they will only go back 2 weeks. how is this fair when it was not my fault it took 6 months to do my evaluation tho reminded several times AND did not get the 2% I was told I would get originally. So, to be clear I only got 2 weeks retro pay, AND my raise was much less than represented in the original eval signed.

Am I entitled to that back pay?

Thanks,
Cherie

Answer
You are not entitled to the back pay for the time before the evaluation was done. Evaluations are not required by law an neither are raises. The law only requires that you are paid minimum wage and overtime for hours over 40 in a week if you are an hourly employee.

If the company never did evaluations it is totally legal not to do them. They may do them whenever they wish or not at all.

I would take the raise and be happy with it. Many people do not even have a job much less a raise. You are fortunate to have both.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR