Employment Law/Sick time/snow day

Question
We opened at noon last week, because of the snow.  An employee had called in sick before this opening late decision was made.  She is an hourly wage earner and thinks she should be paid for the morning hours we were closed, before she uses her sick time for the rest of the day.  We would appreciate your opinion on this.   Thanks very much, John

Answer
If other hourly employees are paid for it than she should be also. If other hourly employees are not paid for it than she should not be.

She needs to be treated the same as other employees no different. If you were closed she could not work sick or not.

We do not pay hourly employees if we are closed for snow day we only pay salaried because we have to by law. We do make them use thier PTO for this salaried and hourly. If they have no PTO or vacation time we still have to pay salaried but we do not have to pay hourly.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR