Employment Law/Timesheet Review

Question
The company I work for does not provide timesheets to be reviewed before submitting to payroll.  I recently noticed a shortage of hours when comparing to my own personal recordkeeping.  Upon calling to request a copy of my timesheet I was directed to speak with my supervisor at which point I was told only managers have access to time records!?  By law, do I have the right to view my own time punches per pay period?

Answer
You have the right to be paid for all the time you work. In most companies you have to sign the timecard before it is submitted to payroll. Keep track of your hours. Talk to your supervisor or HR if your supervisor is no help and let them know your time is not the same as your personal timekeeping that you have written down and that you would like to know why you were not paid for all the time you have worked. If they do not pay you and your hours keep being shorted than take your records to the Department of Labor and let them know that you are not being paid for all the time you work and that you are being shorted hours. They will investigate and make the company make it right with you.

I see no reason to keep you from seeing your timesheet if it is correct. It sounds like they are hiding something. It is illegal to change the timecard to keep from paying overtime. It is called "timecard fixing".  It is against the law.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR