Employment Law/Is this discrimination?

Question
Hello,

I believe the plant I work for is violating my and other employees fair and equal rights. The employer makes the same people work all the overtime all the time and the rest go home after 8 hours. however, makes just one line work 10 hours every day. The group required to work all the overtime is predominately Mexican or Hispanic. Their are appx. 150 of them with only a few whites and blacks. The ages of this group ranges from 20-50. the line The employer has been implementing this type of scheduling for years. The predominate ethnicity across both the 10 hour and 8 hour is Hispanic or Mexican. There are just a few whites and blacks in both. The age of those working the most overtime is 20 to 50.

The plant has about 2,500 employees and no one has filed a complaint because the employer terminates employees that complain. The ethnic makeup in the whole plant is about 95% Hispanic or Mexican and 5% black and white. Is there in your opinion a case for discrimination?

Thanks,
Loran

Answer
There is not a case for discrimination because both those asked to work over time and those going home early are the same ethical race. If only those being asked to work overtime were one race than there would be discrimination.

In other words if the ones going home early were all white and the ones being asked to work all the overtime were all hispanic than there would be discrimination or vise versa.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR