Employment Law/Drug and Alcohol Testing of Employees

Question
We are implementing a "new" drug and alcohol policy including random testing.  Are there any laws or concerns we should have (with existing and/or new employees) with the implementation of this new policy.  For example, do we need to give any notice prior to testing someone (like 36 hours)?

Answer
Good Morning Bill,

I did not find a time limit on random drug testing. I do not believe there is one or it would not be random.  

Here is the site for article 29 of Michigan Law which has the rules for Drug and Alcohol testing in Michgan.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ose/Article_29_218531_7.pdf

I did find a limitation on Random testing as per how many tests can be conducted in any one year:

Limitations On Random Selection Testing. The number of drug tests conducted in any one year on a random selection basis shall not exceed fifteen percent (15%) of the number of all test-designated positions. The number of alcohol tests conducted in any one year on a random selection basis shall not exceed fifteen percent (15%) of the number of all test-designated positions.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR