Employment Law/Rounding Rule In Canada

Is is permissible to use the 7 minute rounding rule in Canada? We have locations in both BC and ON and we are launching electronic time keeping there. Our US operations uses the 7 minute rounding rule and we'd like to be consistent if possible.

Thank you,

am aware of nothing in Employment Standards Act that governs this. I believe it is more of a company or management or union policy that states what the tolerance and rounding levels are. This would be explained at time of hire and hopefully documented in an employee handbook or agreement.

In my experience 15 minutes seems to be the standard and often there is a late tolerance, anywhere from 3-7 minutes but again this depends on an organization's policy, nothing dictated by law. However, I would caution that if you round time it must be rounded at all times both at the beginning and ending of the day. If the employee feels cheated out of time worked than there could be a complaint to employment standards. This would prompt them to look at your rounding methods. You will be fine as long as the methods are fair to the employee.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada