Employment Law/Employment Law

Question
My employer is offering me a third week of time off each year, but only if I use it to perform mission work. Can they dictate what I do with this time off?

Answer
Paid time off is at the convenience of the employer. There are no laws that say you must be given any time off. If the employer gives you time off he can say when it can be used.  If you do not want to use it for the purpose that he is stipulating than you can just decline.  Since there are no laws governing paid time off by the federal employment laws although it may not be right to say how you can use the time there is no law against it.

Some state laws have specific laws regarding paid time off, but most of them do not. The ones that do mostly say that the company has to follow it's policies and it's handbook on the rules for paid time off.  That again puts it in the employer's ballpark.

A few states have more stringent rules, such as California where once time is given it cannot be taken away. I do not recall any state having a statute on the books that says anything about how the time can or can not be used. The problem there being there is no way to enforce a law that does not exist.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR