Employment Law/lodging for business

Question
Can an Employer that pays for your lodging force you to stay in a room with another person? Right now my employer pays for lodging and gives me $40 a day per diem. I stay in my own hotel room by myself.

Thank You

Answer
Michael - Your employer isn't obligated to pay for your out of town expenses, which puts you in a difficult negotiating position on this issue.  You could pay the difference between what your employer gives you toward your expenses and the cost of a single occupancy room. Those costs would be deductible on your federal income tax return as work expenses.  But if you don't want to pay out the cost,  you may feel differently about the alternative of room sharing.  

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire