Employment Law/Time Sheet Modifcation

Hi, I worked Mon-Thursday of last week I was absent on Friday 5/9/2014 and I returned to work on today 5/12/2014 someone filled in my total hours for the week which was 32 hours sometime between Friday and Monday before I arrived to work at 4 PM (which I was going to fill it in when I returned to work today being that I was absent and did not have a chance to until my shift began today). When I returned to work today I noticed someone had filled in my total hours without my permission. I contacted my boss right away and asked her did she modify my time sheet? She stated that she did not and she did not authorize anyone else too and that she would look into it. Is there any type of legal action in print regarding this matter?

Iris - I'm not sure what happened.  Were you paid the wrong amount as a result of the time sheet changes?  It doesn't sound as if there has been any harm to you at this time, so as long as you have reported the problem to your supervisor, I don't know that you have anything to worry about.  Only if your pay is incorrect and you are unable to get the matter resolved internally do you need to think about filing a wage claim with either your state or federal Department of Labor.  Time sheets are only significant if they affect your pay.

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire

I can answer most questions about employment law, federal or state. I am an attorney, not an HR professional, so questions about HR careers, coursework, prospects, etc. are not within my scope.

Attorney for 20 years, currently working exclusively with employment law - FLSA, FMLA, federal contracts, pay, etc.

Temple University School of Liberal Arts, BA, Rhetoric & Communication, 1982 Temple University School of Law, JD, 1990 Certificate in HR, Cornell University ILR School, 2006