Employment Law/employment contract

Question
hi,

my employer has recently asked for more flexibility for staff to work weekends (in a shop) and after reviewing the availability that colleagues have put forward it is still is not enough to cover the shifts they need.

we have now been told that we are going to be issued with new contracts of employment (which no doubt will state that we have to work these particular shifts in the terms and conditions) and that if we dont sign them our existing contracts will expire, hence dismissing staff that do not sign the new contracts. would this constitute constructive dismissal??

we have 19 staff and 14 are expected not to sign the new contracts. does this mean that we will then be in a redundancy situation and that those colleagues should recieve redundancy pay etc??

many thanks in advance.

Answer
I do not believe that refusal to sign a new contract because you do not agree with the hours in the schedule would constitute constructive dismissal. That would actually be for a tribunal to determine, however, since the contract is expiring and a new one needs to be signed it is at your option to sign it or to not sign it.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR