Employment Law/rest breaks

Question
QUESTION: We are not allowed to smoke on the property of the company where I work. We are allowed to go off the property which is about 20 feet from the door of the building. Now we were told that if we go off the property for our breaks that we are not going to be paid for them. The nonsmokers however will be paid for their breaks. Is it legal for them to do this? We feel that this is discrimination.

ANSWER: This is not right unless you are taking longer breaks. If the break time is the same than both smokers and non smokers should be paid. It should make no difference where the break is taken as long as the time limit of the break time is the same.

Shirley

QUESTION: Is there any thing that we can do about it within the company? It's the Human resource president that is making this rule.

Answer
You could talk to the CEO or whomever the HR Director reports to. HR generally does have the power to make the rules within the company. I apologize for your HR president not being fair to all. It makes HR look bad and all HR Directors are not like this.

At our company my policy is no smoking on company property unless you are in your private car. They can go to the parking lot and smoke in their car or they can cross the road off the property. Our reason is because we are a health food company and we cannot have our customers buying health food products seeing employees smoking outside the building. It would have an adverse effect on our business.

I do not treat my smoking employees any different from my regular employees. They all get the same 15 minutes in the morning for break and 15 minutes in the afternoon.

You could try the department of labor, usually in order to file a discrimination claim it must be based on gender, nationality, age, race or same sex related. I am not sure they would take on this type of case, and ditto for the ACLU although you could also call them.

Many employees are now using the new electronic cigarette or vapor because it is generally allowed.  It could be allowed in a break room as it has no caustic smoke to annoy the non smokers. That would also depend unfortunately on your HR Director, but if it is an option perhaps it would be a talking point with the CEO.

I feel your pain, but I don't know of any way to help you. In most companies the CEO will back HR. My CEO does back me on most all issues.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR