Employment Law/Time clocks

We hourly employees had a .5 hour paid lunch.  It was taken away because employer wanted to demonstrate a meal period.  We are out in the field.  Employer is automatically punching us in and out on computerized time clock.  Should we be coming back in to time clock sites to punch ourselves in and out?  Sometimes our lunch time varies.  I don't think other people should be messing with my timesheet everyday.  Also since this caused a pay rate change should not everyone have been notified about their new pay rate?  We are in Illinois and not in Chicago.

Alice - If you are actually taking half an hour for lunch, the time clock is a non-issue.  It does not deprive you of pay for time you work, just moves around the periods of work and lunch.  Employers are not obligated to pay for time not worked, so what you lost was more akin to a bonus than to a pay rate.  Notice of the change is usually seen as needing to be sufficient to allow employees to reject the altered terms by quitting rather than accepting them, not the most useful right to have or exercise.

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire

I can answer most questions about employment law, federal or state. I am an attorney, not an HR professional, so questions about HR careers, coursework, prospects, etc. are not within my scope.

Attorney for 20 years, currently working exclusively with employment law - FLSA, FMLA, federal contracts, pay, etc.

Temple University School of Liberal Arts, BA, Rhetoric & Communication, 1982 Temple University School of Law, JD, 1990 Certificate in HR, Cornell University ILR School, 2006