Employment Law/Unemployment denial

Question
I recently quit a job after having a valid and documented medical issue.  I was only employed for two weeks when I had a medical issue and was given a 2 week leave of absence from the employer.  During this time I was under medical treatment.  However I quit the job during the leave of absence period because I would not have been able to return to work on the date that they stipulated.

I have been denied benefits because 1. chronic medical condition (even though I was released to work about 2 weeks after the LOA end date and I can work under certain circumstances) 2. the employer claims that I could have taken a medical leave of absence (they offered the two weeks and told me that I needed to come back at that time)they didn't indicate that there was any other leave opportunities and 3. that I didn't ask for an accommodation.  

Since I was not physically able to return to work at that time I resigned.  I was also offered another position with another company that didn't have a start date until several weeks later.

Do I have to ask for an accommodation specifically?  I explained the medical situation in detail for them and they didn't offer any accommodation.

Your help is gratefully appreciated...

Answer
You do have to ask for an accomodation.  The FMLA (Family medical leave) should have kicked in to save your position. This is 12 weeks without pay but your job would be saved.  The fact that you quit is why you cannot draw unemployment and the fact that medically you could not work. You cannot draw unemployment if you are not physically able to work.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR