Employment Law/employer mandated uniform costs

Question
I work as a highway contract mail carrier and the USPS is requiring us to purchase shirts that designate us as such.
 My question is, Are we required to pay for them or does the Postal service have to pay?
 If they require us to buy them, do we get reimbursed?

I am located in the State of Arizona

Answer
Arizona law does not require that employers pay for uniforms or special clothing, even when the employer mandates that apparel. Some employers might pay for such items, figuring that it’s better for employee relations and morale. The law also varies from state to state, as some states require that employers pay. But in Arizona the employer is not legally obligated to pay.

You may take some comfort in the fact that employees may be able claim the cost of uniforms or other special apparel as a deduction on their federal income tax returns.

A private company operating in Arizona may require its employees to wear uniforms, such as specific color or style scrubs bearing company logos. Employers also may lawfully require their Arizona employees to pay for the uniforms. However, your employer may not deduct the cost of your uniform from your paycheck without your written consent.

Your employer also may not deduct the cost of the uniform from your wages if the deduction would cause you to earn less than the applicable minimum wage for each hour you work up to 40 hours in a workweek, currently $7.80 an hour in Arizona, or if the deduction would cause you to earn less than the applicable overtime wage, 1˝-times your regular rate of pay, for hours you work in excess of 40 hours per workweek.

Consider the following example: If your job pays $8 an hour, you work 40 hours in the workweek and your required uniform costs $10. Your employer could not deduct more than $8 from your weekly wages, even with your permission, in order to ensure that you earn at least the minimum wage for each hour worked.

Because you would still owe your employer $2 for the cost of the scrubs, your employer could deduct the $2 balance from your following workweek’s wages as long as by doing so the deduction does not reduce your hourly rate below the applicable minimum wage

Shirley  

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR