Employment Law/Fmla

Question
QUESTION: I took my 6 weeks of FMLA Baby bonding time in three 2 week blocks. I was told by my boss and the HR leave manager that i would have to use 40 hours of vacation and sick leave to initiate my leave. And that I would have to use any vacation or float time i had saved. I was told this was because were are not allowed to take time off with no pay. I have used all my time. Last night i read our employee handbook and it says vacation or sick leave is optional during periods  the employee is reciving any kind of income replacement benefits such as paid famiy leave. I told my supervisor i did not want to use my vacation or sick leave but i was told by our director i had no choice. What can i do to right this?  and how do i handel it like who do i speek to? Hr? An attorney? Im not sure what my options are. Have my rights been violated if so can i get my hours back??

ANSWER: Your handbook says that it is an option of you are receiving any type of income replacement benefits.

FMLA is not an income replacement benefit. FMLA is unpaid leave.

We do also require our employees to use Vacation and Sick pay while on FMLA leave as it is unpaid leave.

Shirley

handbook
handbook  
QUESTION: Our handbook says its optional to use vacation when using paid family leave or baby bonding time. But my boss told me i had to use all my vacation. Infact i had to save 40 hrs before i could even began my paid family leave.

ANSWER: There is a 1 week (40 hour) waiting period before the benefits begin which is why you had to use the 40 hours up front.

Were you on FMLA or some type of paid leave? FMLA is unpaid leave. If you were on FMLA than you are required to use the vacation to be paid. If you are on some other type of paid leave than you would not be required because you would be paid. Perhaps a short term disability. FMLA is unpaid and not considered paid leave.

Shirley

QUESTION: In California we get an extra 6 weeks of paid disability leave its for baby bonding.  Its paid at 55 percent of my wages.but I did get paid from the state.

Answer
It is paid leave than and the handbook says on paid leave you have a choice so you should not have had to use your vacation time.  You were paid the vacation time out if you used it. If you got the vacation time back you would have to pay the amount back that were paid to you for the vacation time.

This would probably be something you would have to talk to an attorney about.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR