Employment Law/Jury Duty

Question
In the state of Michigan, does the employer have to pay the employees wages for any missed work days due to the employees having to serve jury duty?

Answer
Jury Duty Leave

An employer is not required to pay an employee for responding to a jury summons or serving on a jury.
An employer may not discharge, discipline, or threaten an employee for being summoned for jury duty, serving on a jury, or having served on a jury.
An employer may not require an employee who serves jury duty, without the employees voluntary consent or pursuant to a collective bargaining agreement, to work:
any number of hours during a day which, if added to the number of hours which the employee spends on jury duty, exceeds the number of hours normally worked by the employee during a day, or
the number of hours normally worked by the employee if it would result in the employee be required to work past the employee's normal quitting time.

Michigan Stat. 600.1348

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR