Employment Law/Paid for hours worked

Question
My sister works for a physical rehab co. and she signed a contract stating that if they see only 6 patients in a day she will be paid for only 6 hours but she works a full 8-9 hours. Is that legal? We live in Florida.

Thank you

Answer
It is not legal. If she works 8-9 hours she should be paid for all the hours she works. The only time she does not have to be paid for is a lunch hour of 30 minutes or longer.

It is not legal for her to work 8 hours and get paid for only 6, even if she signs a contract as it is an illegal contract.

This is a violation of the FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act). It is controlled by the Department of Labor and should be reported to the department of labor as a violation of the FLSA.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR