Employment Law/PTO'S

Question
I get paid every two weeks. I earn PTO's and I work first week 33 hours and second week 34 hours. I take a day off in the first week and claim 8 PTO's for day off. Then I go in early the next day 3 hours early so now I can only collect 5 PTO's for that week. I dont take any time off the second week but I go in 3 hours early. Now they say I cant take 5 PTO's I can only take 2 PTO's. my question is how can they make me take off 3 PTO's on the second week when I didn't take time off on the second week. I only went into work early the second week.

Answer
The weeks should be each week separate. What they are doing is averaging the time over the two week time period.

Unfortunately PTO is not required to be given. Because it is not required the employer may say when it may or may not be used. So what they are doing is counting the 3 hours you went in early on the first week and the 3 hours you went in early on the second week then deducting those 6 hours from the 8 hours to only pay you 2 hours PTO.

It is not right for them to do it this way, but it is not illegal as they have the right to say when the PTO may or may not be used.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR