Employment Law/Slander

Question
I am in middle management for a large national firm that has regions across the nation, this company was having a national meeting for it's executive leaders & the Regional leader for which I am employed spoke up in the large group stating " mentioning my full name was useless & would have been fired long ago". My questions are:
1. Is this a form of slander?
2. I believe it created an environment of unceratinity among the regional leadership that I worked with on a regular basis and put a target on my back.
This regional leader has a reputation as being a verbal bully, what would be my course of action.

Answer
Dear TEM - It was clearly this person's opinion, and as you said, he is known as a bully, so it would be hard to show that your reputation was damaged by the comment.  In addition, suing your employer or someone in management is a sure way to lose your job.

I'm not sure what you mean about the environment of uncertainty and your course of action.   If you believe your job is now uncertain,  check in with your immediate boss to ask whether you are meeting his or her expectations.   If you are, keep it up.  If you are not,  work on any suggestions for improvement you are given.  Ultimately,  employers have the power to fire whomever they choose unless there is a union contract or written employment agreement that limits termination to specific events.  

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire