Employment Law/SUSPENED INDIFFENTLY

Question
Employee of Virginia was suspended indefinitely then was told owner
they can turn in resignation letter and collect vacation pay. Can the employee still collect unenployment?

Answer
Generally if you resign you cannot collect unemployment. You have to prove to the unemployment office that you are no longer employed through no fault of your own.  If you resign it sounds voluntary. Although if you are suspended you still may not be allowed to draw unemployment if your actions caused you to be suspended.

The other thing to look at is when finding another job it may look better on your resume to show that you resigned rather than was suspended. If you choose this than hopefully the vacation pay will hold you over until you find another job.

Shirley  

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR