Employment Law/Per-diem tax benefit

Question
I work out of country and have noticed that the IRS allows 330 per day per-diem. Is it possible for my company to pay me per-diem as a way to shelter myself from taxes? To clarify if I normally make 500 per day can 330 of it be payed in per diem and 170 normally so I would only be taxed on the 170?  If this is possible the company I work for would also see a tax break because they would not have to pay FICA taxes on the per-diem portion. Thank-you in advance for any guidance you can give.

Answer
The per diem is allowed and used by many companies. If the per diem is used you cannot receive also the housing allowance or other expense allowances because the per diem is for expenses such as housing. It is meant for expenses and not as a wage.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR