You are here:

Employment Law/access to time cards denied


After being terminated from a position for expressing dissatisfaction with not receiving my check on payday I was terminated. When finally receiving my check I noticed it was short approx. 5 hours. I asked my employer to see my timecard for a.comparison and he says he isn't obligated to...that the times in my pay stub are sufficient.. throughout my time employed there my checks seemed to be missing hours quite regularly.. each time the owner was approached about this he'd pass it off with one reason or another. Without my time cards it makes it proceed with a lawsuit where as all I have is my word saying I worked longer...and I am not the only employee who has seen/ noticed this...just the only one who stood up against it

Todd - Contact your Illinois or the federal Labor Department and file a wage claim for the wages you believe you are owed.  Also, file for unemployment benefits.  It is illegal to fire an employee for asserting his rights.  You should be successful with one or both of these efforts.

Employment Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Margaret M. deMarteleire


I can answer most questions about employment law, federal or state. I am an attorney, not an HR professional, so questions about HR careers, coursework, prospects, etc. are not within my scope.


Attorney for 20 years, currently working exclusively with employment law - FLSA, FMLA, federal contracts, pay, etc.

Temple University School of Liberal Arts, BA, Rhetoric & Communication, 1982 Temple University School of Law, JD, 1990 Certificate in HR, Cornell University ILR School, 2006

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]