Employment Law/access to time cards denied

Question
After being terminated from a position for expressing dissatisfaction with not receiving my check on payday I was terminated. When finally receiving my check I noticed it was short approx. 5 hours. I asked my employer to see my timecard for a.comparison and he says he isn't obligated to...that the times in my pay stub are sufficient.. throughout my time employed there my checks seemed to be missing hours quite regularly.. each time the owner was approached about this he'd pass it off with one reason or another. Without my time cards it makes it difficult.to proceed with a lawsuit where as all I have is my word saying I worked longer...and I am not the only employee who has seen/ noticed this...just the only one who stood up against it

Answer
Todd - Contact your Illinois or the federal Labor Department and file a wage claim for the wages you believe you are owed.  Also, file for unemployment benefits.  It is illegal to fire an employee for asserting his rights.  You should be successful with one or both of these efforts.

Employment Law

Margaret M. deMarteleire