Employment Law/Forced use of vacation

Question
I work in the state of California for a company that is based in Delaware. The company does consulting so the work is project based and there is the policy that we, the employees, must charge 4.5 hours of our accrued vacation time each week when we are not deployed on a project - is that legal? It seems wrong that the employer forces us to use our vacation time when we are actually not taking vacation. Please advise, thanks.

Answer
Vacation is not mandated which means it is a gift from the company. The company does not have to give you vacation time.  Because of this the company has the right to say when you may or may not use that vacation time.
They do not have the right to take it away once you have accrued it but they can say when you must take it.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR