Employment Law/Time Clocks

We are having a problem getting our employees to consistently clock out. This is a new process for our non-exempt employees and they are causing our small payroll/accounting department to spend almost an extra hour of time tracking them down to make sure the hours are correct. Are we missing something or is there a policy we can put in place to make sure this doesn't continue happening?

This is a problem at a lot of companies.  we handled it this way.  If a time card is not turned in the employee is paid their regularly scheduled hours and any differences are either paid or deducted from the next payroll check.  if a timecard is turned in partially filled out we pay for the hours shown on the timesheet and any differences are paid or subtracted from the next paycheck.

We wrote the policy up and gave it out and told the employees it would take effect on the next payroll.  We also kept track of these employees not correctly turning in time cards and we looked at that when figuring out Christmas bonus checks.  We also talked to the emploees supervisor and at bonus time those supervisors were graded on how they were able to get their emploees to correctly report their time ards.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada