Employment Law/employee time card

Iam an employer with a time card problem. Our payroll is paid on every other Friday and we request time card by Wednesday evening before the Friday payroll. I have one employee that doesn't like to turn in their time card on time or the time card is not completed therefore, I have to guess at the hours he worked.  Since I am not always physically here at the worksite I am not always sure which days he is working.  I am always having to track him down(sometimes he is out on deliveries)which holds up payroll for all the other employees too. He has never complained about his time being short but I am afraid that is exactly what might happen and other than this bad habit he is a very good employee that I would like to keep and do not wish to do anything that might upset him, especially where his paycheck is concerned.  What can I do to be sure he is being paid correctly?  If his paycheck is short is it ok to add those forgotten hours on to his next paycheck?

What I do is pay the employee for their regularly scheduled time if a day is missing or a punch is missed and I cannot find that employee. So if he is scheduled for 8 hours that day I pay him 8 hours for that day. If the time is less or more than I adjust it on the next payroll check. I keep a copy of the timecard to show what I paid. If I have to adjust the next payroll than I make the employee write on the bottom of the timecard the reason and use the copy with the revision to pay or deduct the difference.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada