Employment Law/Ex Employer/Payroll Co. not providing tax documents

Question
Hi, I worked for a company that had to shut its doors in February of 2014. It was a huge surprise. Apparently the owner had financial issues. Anyways, this year came around and we all waited for our W2's and they never came. After non return of calls from the Owner and the payroll co., we finally were given (by email,not mail) copies of a 1099.  WHAT?  we were taxed on our payroll checks! I asked for a copy of my last paystub...again, nothing. I was told that they were "forced to void out those transactions"  What does all this mean? The owner ignores calls and texts. So therefore, we have a employer who is hiding something, and a payroll company unwilling to cooperate also...No documentation?? I dont buy it.  Do we have a legal issue here?

Answer
What you need to do is contact your local Department of Labor. It sounds like the employer may have collected taxes from your checks and never paid them to the government. It is unfortunate that you did not keep check stubs, because now it will be hard to prove that.  The one proof you may have is if you deposited the same amount each payday and the total of those deposits does not match the amount on the 1099. It is not a good sign and I would definately contact the Department of Labor and see if they can help you out. You may have a legal case if you can prove they collected taxes from you and never paid them to the government, but if the company is in bankruptcy you will have a hard time suing and collecting the money.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR