Employment Law/Gas station drive-offs

Question
Can Gas station employer force an employee/cashier to pay for gas drive-off by customer's?
Station owner does not require forced pre-pay by customers.  There are no pre-signed paper's stating that the cashier is required to pay for drive-offs.. But the Owner  "verbally"  require's cashier to "pay-up"!   The cashier is constantly pressured to turn  "on"  the  "approval-key"  to the  "gas-pump",  for the customer,  at the register on a frequent  basis.  Cashier is constantly required to observe  "who-is-it"  at the  "gas-pumps!"   We are forced into   "guessing"  who  won't  be a drive-off,  and then told to  "watch"  them.  The cashier did get the license number & vehicle description.  The station owner refuses to  notify  police to identify the driver.  Because he's angry with the police dept. about the dept. requiring station owner to prosecute the gas drive-off.  (It takes the police station about an hour of their time to research the information.)   Station owner wants to call gas drive-off person himself. Because it's a small town & sometimes it's a local farmer or a friend of his that only forgot to pay.  They'll come back to pay the owner after a phone call from station owner.   But, in this case it doesn't appear to be a local person who drove-off.
    I was required to pay $43.00 for a drive-off.  I feared I would be fired if I didn't . Actually, in the past, an employee's part -time hours would be cut severely in order to force them to go elsewhere for employment.

Answer
I think this is unfair and not legal at all. If the customer is to pay up front and the attendant does not follow this rule than maybe they could be liable, but not if they are told to turn on the pump with out payment. No this is a cost of doing business for the business. You should contact your local department of labor and let them know what is going on.

Shirley

Ina that is a good idea. I work with bulk agriculture materials and have never worked in this situation so could not give you a better answer. The lawyer is a good idea.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR