Employment Law/hipaa

I called my boss from the field in a company vehicle on company time, asked if I could make 5 minute trip back to office to get my medication as I forgot it. He said "no this is the 2nd time in 7 months" The next day he called a meeting with me, my union rep and another supervisor and said, " just so we are on the same page, it is your responsibility to remember your medication, if you forget it, you need to wait until you come back in at the end of the day. I didnt appreciate him telling the other people I am on medication, in the 1st place, and needed it to actually continue with my day. Is this a violation ? I live in Pa. Thanks

If no illness was discussed nor the reason for the medication it is not a violation. It really is your responsibility to take charge of your medication. He was having an audio disciplinary meeting and he is allowed to have a witness and the union rep on a disciplinary meeting. The next time you will probably be written up.

Put your medication in a pill box and keep it in your pocket. That is what I do, I have one on my key chain for my asthma medicine.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada