Employment Law/wages


I just received a email from my employer explaining that we would be having our hourly rate cut for hours already worked at a set rate of pay can this be done? I currently live in the state of florida.

Matt - Unfortunately, there is nothing in employment law that prohibits what happened.  It is a contract law matter; you cannot be expected to modify contract terms after the fact.  However, unless you want to hire a lawyer and sue your employer for the lost pay, there is little you can do about this.

Employment Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Margaret M. deMarteleire


I can answer most questions about employment law, federal or state. I am an attorney, not an HR professional, so questions about HR careers, coursework, prospects, etc. are not within my scope.


Attorney for 20 years, currently working exclusively with employment law - FLSA, FMLA, federal contracts, pay, etc.

Temple University School of Liberal Arts, BA, Rhetoric & Communication, 1982 Temple University School of Law, JD, 1990 Certificate in HR, Cornell University ILR School, 2006

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.