Employment Law/Offer letter contract w/ per diem payment

Question
I was hired as a contractor for a company based in Virginia. They have a contract with DOD. My work location is in Japan for about 6 months. In my offer letter it states I will get a per diem for 5 days at a specified amount. Come to find out it was only a one time payment. I have contracted before with other companies, within the U.S however, and was paid a per diem for the duration of my employment; thus thinking this current company would be no different. In my offer letter each type of payment is spelled out if it is per hour, per pay period and per month. So the per diem I thought would be every five days M-F. I am paid bi-monthly. Is this company obligated to pay me the per diem for the duration of my employment since it is in my offer letter and it doesn't state one time at 5 days? How can I find out if they are getting compensated for us contractors to travel abroad but they are not paying us those per diem rates? None of us are military, just civilian contractors. I have also found out that other employees have had issues with this company for not honoring what they have said either verbally or in writing regarding payouts. Those people have quit.
This company received their contract with DOD under the SBA.
Any insight to this would be most appreciated.

Answer
If the per diem paid is the same to you that it is to all the companies employees than you are being treated no differently than other employees.If this is their policy you will not have a recourse on this amount. You need to make sure you understand the terms before you agree to work for a company.

You will not know if they are being compensated for your services as that information is not public knowledge.

It is also possible that they only pay a per diem for the move and not during employment. If you pay taxes in the US you can take a housing and meal allowance for your time spend as an expatriate.

Unless your compensation is less than the minimum wage than the government does not take part in those type of payments unless there is something discriminatory about the job or payment. This does not sound like a case of discrimination.

Do not shoot the messenger but I do not find any legal recourse for you.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR