Employment Law/Payroll in Arrears

Question
We have a bi-weekly payroll and my company is considering payroll in arrears. For example - for the two week period ended on Sunday 4/26/15, we would be paid 5 days later on 5/1/2015. In arrears means that we would wait for 10 days and be paid on 5/8/2015 instead.  
We are trying to find industry standards on this practice and besides state requirements, find out if it is legal to pay this way and how other companies who do it are justifying it.  
Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Answer
This is done in many companies. Holding back a week is standard policy. The week that is held back will be paid at the end of your employment with the company.  It will only be one time, than you will be paid biweekly, cut off one week and pay the next week.

This is legal to do.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR