Employment Law/Terminating an employee

Question
I have an employee whom has worked with us about a month.  He was hired in on a probationary period to see if he actually has the skill level we need for the job.  He is not working out and I would like to let him go.  However, since he was hired he has disclosed several medical issues he has (non-work related) which is hindering his ability to do his job and has had days off already because of his health issues.  May I terminate him legally for his lack of performance and lack of skills without worrying about a law suit arising from this employee possibly stating we terminated him because of his health issues?  Is there a proper procedure I should follow or steps to follow prior to terminating him to lessen the chance of a potential law suit?

Answer
You are right to be concerned about this. Here are the steps I would take, and do take before terminating an employee, and I do it for all unless there is a compelling reason to terminate such as breaking rules or other criminal activity.

1. Verbal warning about performance issues

2. Written warning about performance issues

3. Termination because of performance issues.

These should be done in no less than 2 week interviews if possible. Also all documentation on prior performance issues should be documented with the issue and the date. You can present these to the employee at the warning.They also need to be documented in the files for the Department of Labor.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR