Employment Law/food costs

i'm driving to Alabama in August i'll be gone for 9 days.i wont be able to afford the costs of eating out for those days.my boss told to start saving up my tip money for this trip.i don't feel that's fair to me.i think the company should either pay for my costs or reimburse me .do I have a leg to stand on ?

If you are going on company business than the company should reimburse you the amount spent or give you a per diem according to the federal regulations to pay for the meals.

You can find the meal per diem rates here for the city and state you are traveling to

The federal mileage rate for your gas is 57.5 per mile. You will need to keep a mileage log.

Some companies simply pay a flat amount before you go and some reimburse actual expenses when you return. Either way if it is a trip for business it should be the companies expense and not yours.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada