Employment Law/Payroll check

Question
My husband employer lets him go on a Monday morning for being to slow wasnt tuning enought paid repairs out. He a sr master tech and was pulled of his jobs to fix other employees errors or work on the employers family vichles. he gets paid at the end of the week for that weeks work. He wss given his pay check on Saturday with no indication his employer had a problem. Was let go the next Mondays. On top the fact he has not allowed him to pick up his tool box and tools worth thouands of dollards his pay check was returned for 750.00. The bank has charged us fees which caused outstand amounts to bounce with more charges. He held his check 4 days before cashing it so we just found tjis out today standing at a cash out trying to purchase some items at a store. So we have a bounced check for 750 no tools so he was not able to start his job he was offered on Wednesday. What do we do?

Answer
You can do the following:

You can call the department of employment and let them know that he has not been paid for work completed and the check bounced. They will help him get the 750.00 and my help get his tools.

You can take the company to small claims court for the 750.00 and the tools. It is usually less than 100.00 to file in small claims court and you do not need an attorney.

You can let the police know that the company has written you a bad check it is illegal to do so.

You should definately and immediately file for unemployment insurance until you find another job.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR