Employment Law/Unpaid Wages

Question
Hello, I am currently going through a wage claim with my previous company, I am having trouble acquiring physical documents stating that I did not only work for this company, but was also "promised" pay, which in the end of the 5 months of working never received pay for my time, and they are stating that I worked for room and board ONLY.The company has documents stating that i was an employee with hours on their payroll but all the evidence is with them and I was only clocking in on a system in the companies computer. What is the best way to go about acquiring this info so I am able to appeal the allegation?
Is there anything I can do without written documentation stating I was "promised" pay?
I hope I am not out of luck, btu I currently do not have any resources to help besides the previous employees that were also "promised" pay but also did not receive any, along with the general manager as well and this seems not to be enough to work.
Thank you for your time!

Answer
You can check with the state and see if any state tax reports or workman's comp insurance filings were made by the company listing you as an employee.

If not the only thing I can think of is have all the employees that were promised pay go together with you and find an attorney that will sue the company for the wages. It might work if one is the general manager and if there are enough people to make it believable to the judge.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR