Employment Law/Do I need to retain unclaimed direct depost pay advices

I work for a large national company and manage payroll for several hundred employees.  I have many employees that have direct deposit. Unless the employees chooses to go paperless, a pay advice prints out for the employee each week.  Most of the employees come and pick up the advice in a reasonable amount of time.  Am I required by law to retain the pay advices? Our company has an employee website that they can log in to in order to view and print their pay advice. My predessor to this position would shred the advices after several weeks. Before I do that I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be violating any law.

You need to keep them with your check copies. You can keep them online or in a paper file. This is because the Department of Labor says you must keep check copies for 2 years.

You do not need to keep the employees copy, if they need it you can print off or copy another one for them from your files.

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada