Employment Law/Dictating time off activities

Question
Hi.  I am faculty at a university. I was approached by a company to write an opinion paper. If i do this on my own time and use no university resources, am I obligated to notify through university. They've suggested I have to contract for the project through them and pay uni  25%, but isn't what I choose to do on my own time my own business?

Answer
You do not have to contract through them unless there is a non compete clause in your contract, or unless the contract forbids you to work anywhere else while you are employed with the university. Sounds like they are trying to cash in on your free lance work.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR