Employment Law/Pregnancy & restricted work

I currently am employed by the USPS as a rural carrier. A few days ago I was put on restrictions by my doctor because of my back. A previous injury (fractured by a chriopractor) has been made worse by my pregnancy, and my doctor has given a list of restrictions to my superiors. The restrictions were evaluated by the company nurses in Knoxville, and I was told I could not be cleared for work in any way, shape, or form until the restrictions were lifted by my doctor. I believe that my doctor intends to keep the restrictions in place until I can be evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon (whom I see on 9/16) and put through the necessary physical therapy (unknown how long that will last/take). My husband and I are both full-time students (though I will be finished at Halloween), and he has been unable to find work even though he has put in many applications. I am wondering what I can do in this situation regarding our income. Do I qualify for short-term disability? Or unemployment, even though I am technically employed? How do I go about applying for aid, if there is any to be had?

You need to go talk to your benefits administrator or to Human Resources.  You should sign up for FMLA which will guarantee your job.  This is unpaid leave so you  will have to also ask if you are covered by a short term disability policy through your job.  If you are you need to sign paperwork to get it started.  If you are not than you need to talk to Health and Human Services and see what help they have top offer you..

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada