Employment Law/Restrictions during pregnancy due to injury

I currently am employed by the USPS as a rural carrier. A few days ago I was put on restrictions by my doctor because of my back. A previous injury (fractured by a chiropractor) has been made worse by my pregnancy, and my doctor has given a list of restrictions to my superiors. The restrictions were evaluated by the company nurses in Knoxville, and I was told I could not be cleared for work in any way, shape, or form until the restrictions were lifted by my doctor. I believe that my doctor intends to keep the restrictions in place until I can be evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon and put through the necessary physical therapy (unknown how long that will last/take). I am wondering what I can do in this situation regarding our income. Do I qualify for short-term disability? Or unemployment, even though I am technically employed? How do I go about applying for aid, if there is any to be had?

Hello Christopher,

I apologize for the delay as well.

I must remind you of this...
Remember my response is intended to be educational and informational purposes only. I'm not an attorney. This response is not legal advice. Please review my specific disclaimer;

That said, your situation is beyond the scope of my knowledge. I do have a question and comment however...

1) Are you a member of a USPS union with a CBA agreement?
2) It appears that the employment "Bermuda Triangle" may apply:
ADAAA (Americans with Disabilities Act Amendment Act)
FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act)
Workers’ Compensation

If it were me, it would be time to seek legal counsel to advise me on the best way to navigate this process.

I hope this helps,
Yancey Thomas Jr  

Employment Law

Yancey Thomas Jr

General employee rights relating to ADAAA,FMLA,Employee Performance Reviews,Sexual Harassment,Workplace Discrimination,Job Interviews,Workplace Violence,Workplace Privacy,wrongful termination,drug tests Non Answers COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act),USERRA,OSHA,Workers' Compensation,Federal Unemployment Tax Act,Equal Pay Act,The Wagner Act,EEOC,NLRB

16 years as an employee rights educator, coach, trainer, activist and advocate. Several of my websites and blogs,, and rank highly in all four major search engines, Google, Yahoo, Bing and Ask for the keyword “basic employee rights”, “employee workplace rights” and “employee rights guide”. The websites also rank on the first page of the search engines for various other keywords related employee rights topics. These unique site receive 20,000+ unique (new) visitors monthly from all over the world.

Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 31 trained in mediator/neutral specializing in conflict resolution of general civil, business and employment issues. Also certified in mediation including the Alliance for education in dispute resolution and Cornell University.