Employment Law/Uniforms and Safety

What is the law regarding responsibility of an employer in providing the appropriate type of uniforms for employees? The uniform includes a flight suit and coat. This employer prefers to offer a complete uniform that affords as many safety features to protect employees from environmental and bio hazards. However, employees wish to have a coat that does not meet or has minimal safety features in favor of comfort. Thank you.

Hello Anita,

I apologize for the delay.

Remember my response is intended to be educational and informational purposes only. I'm not an attorney nor is this response legal advice. Please review my specific disclaimer;

My Response:

Employers can require their employees to wear uniforms, according to the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. The Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Department of Labor administers the federal act. The act does not mandate uniforms, but it allows employers to require them. If required by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration as Personal Protective Equipment, employers must pay for the PPE. If OSHA does not require it, employers can charge their employees for their uniform costs.

Fair Labor Standards Act Uniform Law

The Fair Labor Standards Act does not require employees to wear work uniforms, but allows employers to mandate them. According to the Wage and Hour Division, employers who require uniforms should pay for them and deduct them as business expenses.

I hope that helps,

Yancey Thomas Jr.

The Ugly Truth About Your Workplace...  

Employment Law

Yancey Thomas Jr

General employee rights relating to ADAAA,FMLA,Employee Performance Reviews,Sexual Harassment,Workplace Discrimination,Job Interviews,Workplace Violence,Workplace Privacy,wrongful termination,drug tests Non Answers COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act),USERRA,OSHA,Workers' Compensation,Federal Unemployment Tax Act,Equal Pay Act,The Wagner Act,EEOC,NLRB

16 years as an employee rights educator, coach, trainer, activist and advocate. Several of my websites and blogs,, and rank highly in all four major search engines, Google, Yahoo, Bing and Ask for the keyword “basic employee rights”, “employee workplace rights” and “employee rights guide”. The websites also rank on the first page of the search engines for various other keywords related employee rights topics. These unique site receive 20,000+ unique (new) visitors monthly from all over the world.

Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 31 trained in mediator/neutral specializing in conflict resolution of general civil, business and employment issues. Also certified in mediation including the Alliance for education in dispute resolution and Cornell University.