Employment Law/Hours worked in one day

Shirley, I work for a company,well sort of construction. We work to fix heavy equipment, put in new conveyors, Millwrites I guess. Anyway we are working a factory shut-down while the employees are off, 12 hours a day 7 days a week. Today the boss says since he put too much work on his plate we may have to stay a couple more hours a day to get it all done !! Shirley, I live an hour away from work, I already have to get up at 3am. So that means 16 hours a day!! Question : Do I have to work this many hours in one day ?? Thank You for your time :)

The law states that you must be paid for all the hours you work and if you are non exempt hourly overtime for all the hours over 40 in a wee. If you are in California it is overtime for over 8 hours in a day.  

There is no law that states how many hours the employer can ask you to work. If it becomes a safety issue because of the lack of sleep and complexity of the work you need to talk to your safety manager and or union rep and have him talk to your manager.

Shirley McAllister

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR

I can answer questions about payroll laws and payroll tax laws and Human Resource laws and agencies. I can answer federal payroll and human resource law questions and most states; I do not have a knowledge of the local taxes for cities and counties within the state. If and when I can I will try and send you the website where you can reference the answer and where you can obtain more information as well as a contact number if needed for that particular agency. Some agencies I have worked with are IRS, Department of Labor (federal and state), Revenue Canada (and provincial governments), Inland Revenue, OSHA (0ccupational Safety and Health Administration); Social Security Administration and National Child Support as well as other agencies in Payroll and Human Resources. Some Laws I am particularly familiar with are FLSA (Fair Labor Standards Act), ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act), FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act ) , QDRO's, QMCSO's, and other support orders and garnishments, USERRA (Uniformed Services Employment and Remployment Rights Act,PPA Act (Pension Protection Act of 2006, As well as most other employment type acts. I am also well versed in the Title V Civil Rights Act and the HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act).

30 years in Payroll and Human Resources

SHRM (Society of Human Resources) APA (American Payroll Association) DOLEA (Department of Labor Employers Association) CPA (Canadian Payroll Association) NAPW (National Association of Professional Women) The Mentoring Network

PHR Certification in Human Resources CPP Certification in Payroll in U.S. Payroll Administrator and Payroll Supervisor certification in Canada