Employment Law/Forced time card alteration.

Question
I submitted my 2nd timecard and was told to change it. No overtime policy. (employed for just at a month now) Had 1.5 hours of OT.
I stayed late for late arriving customer. I was told to put a long lunch in on 3 days. 1 of which I got NO lunch because I was alone and always had customers. Boss would not approve overtime and Dictated what changes to make on the time card.
Yes I know Its probably illegal.  if I complain, I lose my job. OR I lose future jobs due to bad references.   Which leaves me with the choice of working without pay  or refusing a late arriving customer? (which could get me fired also.)
How do I protect myself in this situation?

Answer
The only thing you can do is talk to the department of employment about it.  They will investigate and yes it is illegal. However, you are correct in what you say.  They cannot fire you for this, but they can find some other reason to let you go. They cannot give a bad reference for future jobs that is illegal for them to do.

Other that that there is noting you can do. It is illegal not to pay overtime, it is illegal to change a timecard so it is no longer correct. These are both violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act.

Shirley

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR